Carbon monoxide exposure hospitalizes 43 elementary schoolers

CO-molecule

Carbon monoxide (CO) is also known as the silent killer because you cannot see or smell it. According to the CDC,“carbon monoxide, or CO, an odorless, colorless gas can cause sudden illness and death. CO is produced any time a fossil fuel is burned in a furnace, vehicle, generator, grill, or elsewhere. CO from these sources can build up in enclosed or semi-enclosed spaces and poison the people and animals in them.” In other words, it is extremely bad for you.

This passed Monday on December 3, 2012, 43 students and 6 staff members of an elementary school in southwest Atlanta, Georgia were hospitalized after they were exposed to deadly carbon monoxide fumes. It turns out that like most schools, the school did not have carbon monoxide detectors.Surprisingly, they are not required by state or local laws and currently only Connecticut and Maryland have laws that require CO alarms in schools.

carbon-monoxide-gas-safety

Any establishment that has appliances, for example that burn fuel, may be at risk for a carbon monoxide leak. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission’s website features a webpage on carbon monoxide and any questions that you may have about what it is, how to detect leaks and symptoms of poisoning as well as poisoning prevention. If you do not have a carbon monoxide detector in your home, you should strongly consider getting one. Once it hits the air, it can be deadly.

Advertisements

One thought on “Carbon monoxide exposure hospitalizes 43 elementary schoolers

  1. I am surprised to hear that carbon monoxide detectors are not required in schools. It seems appalling that they are not mandatory in schools when carbon monoxide has been established for quite some time as the silent killer.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s