Carbon monoxide (CO) is also known as the silent killer because you cannot see or smell it. According to the CDC,“carbon monoxide, or CO, an odorless, colorless gas can cause sudden illness and death. CO is produced any time a fossil fuel is burned in a furnace, vehicle, generator, grill, or elsewhere. CO from these sources can build up in enclosed or semi-enclosed spaces and poison the people and animals in them.” In other words, it is extremely bad for you.
This passed Monday on December 3, 2012, 43 students and 6 staff members of an elementary school in southwest Atlanta, Georgia were hospitalized after they were exposed to deadly carbon monoxide fumes. It turns out that like most schools, the school did not have carbon monoxide detectors.Surprisingly, they are not required by state or local laws and currently only Connecticut and Maryland have laws that require CO alarms in schools.
Any establishment that has appliances, for example that burn fuel, may be at risk for a carbon monoxide leak. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission’s website features a webpage on carbon monoxide and any questions that you may have about what it is, how to detect leaks and symptoms of poisoning as well as poisoning prevention. If you do not have a carbon monoxide detector in your home, you should strongly consider getting one. Once it hits the air, it can be deadly.